Cheri Chatter

Cheri Chatter

Monday, May 5, 2014

Hexie Addiction

I've resisted the hexie craze for at least a year, but then the latest issue of Quilt Mania arrived at Glad's. I fell in love with the project on the cover. I've been needing a good, portable hand project, and this one fits the bill.



I'm using mostly Kaffe Fasset fabrics because I have the perfect one in my stash that will serve as the background. It's just been waiting for the right project.

I sorted through the rest of the Kaffe stash, setting aside fabrics I wasn't sure would be a good fit.  That still left me with a pretty big pile of mostly fat quarters.  I cut one strip from each fabric, which yielded about eight 1" hexies from each 20"+ strip and left not a dent in my stash! Sheesh. 



I spent yesterday afternoon at my friend Dee's house cutting out hexies. She talked me into layering marked strips on top of several unmarked ones to rotary cut the hexies. In no time flat I had all of them cut. I believe I have enough now for three or four of these quilts. I'm anxious to get started!



But look what I have left from the cutting. Millions of little colorful triangles. I couldn't throw them away, so they may end up fused together somehow. Maybe little flowers? I know. I'm crazy. But I've accepted that about myself.



I now have choices about the construction method. Do I baste the hexies or do I use glue to speed up the process? Or do I substitute starch for glue? We are so lucky in the quilting community to have fellow enthusiasts, and great tips on every aspect of quilting are everywhere. 



A customer and fellow hexie fan sent me this tip and included a tool. Thanks, Deb! And yesterday Dee clued me into a method for tying knots that will make the stitching very secure when I start sewing hexies together. I can't wait!

I'm still whittling away at other priorities, so the hexies are going to have to wait a little longer. I'm off to clean the oven and pay bills. Yippee.

No comments: