Cheri Chatter

Cheri Chatter

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Taking Stock of 2013

Every January I take stock of what quilting projects I finished the year before. I am incorrigibly competitive, and since I'm the only quilter in the house, I compete with myself. My previous all-time high was fourteen finishes.

Sometimes my finish starts the year as a completed top that needs to be quilted. At the end of the year I'll have more tops to get quilted the following year, and those don't count. So it all comes out in the wash.



I beat myself this year: seventeen finishes! Fifteen were my own quilts, and two were tops made for others to quilt and bind. One was a Star quilt top for a Tuesday Friend that I traded for porcupine quills. It made a bride and groom very happy. Wish I had a picture to show you. I whipped that one out so fast, I didn't think to get a photo!

The other was a queen sized 9-patch design (also no pic) made out of two and three yard pieces of fabric cut in two on the fold and used as table runners at my niece's wedding reception.  All my piecing strips had to be cut lengthwise, and yardage was tight in some places. We decided not to prewash for that reason, and I had to cut around a couple of food spills. Quilting always brings new challenges!

Along with taking stock, I look at what quilt projects I want to tackle in the new year. There are projects I feel I must do. That "must" word tends to suck the joy right out. So I've balanced my list with fun new projects to get started on. I'm going to try to alternate between old and new throughout the year, but I'm itching to start on a floral "Spring Fling".



I also want to balance piecing projects with handwork.  I miss doing applique.  I have a few quilts I want to hand quilt with a big stitch. And I'm having fun with embroidery and crochet. Idle hands are the devil's work after all!

No comments: