Cheri Chatter

Cheri Chatter

Monday, May 7, 2012

Organizing the Hostas

Today, I really wanted to be spending my time diving back in to organizing the basement.  I'll have to save that for a rainy day, because I need to plant the hostas that Amy and her husband, Dan, carefully bagged up and delivered to my back yard last week.

Before I could plant them though, I had to dig up the spot where they will live.  I call it my hosta bed because that's what I envisioned for it, not because it had achieved that status yet!


It used to be a pond that was lined with hostas.  Then the rabbits built a warren under it, chewed a hole in the expensive liner, and drained it like a bathtub.  My neighbor and I filled it in with dirt. Other things grew in place of the pond while I mused about what to plant. Every time I thought of planting more hostas, I made a quilt instead.  And then the moment of truth (aka the hostas) arrived.


It took several hours to dig out little trees, grapevines, and other volunteers.  My neighbor, Don, kept offering to help and finally came over to dig a few shovels full.  I don't know if he felt sorry for me or if it looked like I was having too much fun!  Once I finished digging, planting the new hostas took hardly any time at all.  They're beautiful.  Thanks, Amy and Dan!  I've got lots of space in the middle for other plantings.


I would have kept going, but I blew out a tennis shoe.  It was a great reason to stop and, also, to throw something away.  I am getting excited about tossing stuff these days!

No comments: