Cheri Chatter

Cheri Chatter

Monday, April 23, 2012

My Project Runway Challenge

I love Project Runway and have always wanted to do a challenge of my own. I thought it would have to do with quilts, of course, but the challenge I took on related to fashion. My sister, Nancy, is active in Habitat for Humanity and asked me to doctor up her little red dress for their annual dinner. It needed to relate to construction yet be sexy, chic, and danceable.
Nathan and I went to my local hardware store, Settergren's, and settled on several sizes of stainless steel washers. I attached them to the front of her dress with silver metalic thread. Turned out to be easier than I thought, but it was still putzy.
The final result was surprisingly beautiful. Someone would have to tell you that the embellishments are hardware. For her clutch handbag, Nathan suggested spray painting a couple of air filter masks and attaching a chain. Very cool. It opens like one of those little coinpurses that you have to squeeze open. We added other embellishments: a bracelet made from stainless steel links used for key chains and a hose clamp posing as a ring. And earrings. I almost forgot the dangly earrings made of more washers and little stainless key rings. I'm taking orders for those!
Nancy says that out of 900 or so attendees, she had the best dress. And that was according to the other guests. Score one for this Project Runway devotee!

No comments: