Cheri Chatter

Cheri Chatter

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I've Joined a Another Gang

We have a new club at Glad Creations. Actually, it's been meeting for some months now. We're making six-inch blocks from the book, Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, which is depicted in a novel, The Master Quilter. Both books and many others (all quilt-related) are authored by Jennifer Chiaverini. "Sylvia" groups meet all over the country and all over the world. Some groups even meet on-line.

As a rule, I'm not a joiner. For weeks I proudly and publicly resisted the snowballing Sylvia frenzy at Glad's. Then one day I walked past a fabric collection piling up in my sewing room and realized it would be perfect for a Sylvia quilt. I caved. My capitulation was so sudden and complete, it surprised the Glad's crew and humbled me. I didn't rest until I got Nathan to cave, too.

My collection of black and white with red is so pretty that for several more weeks it sat in a basket just looking tantalizing. It sat there so long that the parade of Sylvia blocks at the shop left me in the dust.

It sat there so long, in fact, that I bought companion fabrics to make little quilts with the Sylvia leftovers that have yet to make their appearance.

But I'm on the band wagon now. I've completed my first five blocks and am finding that it is a lot like eating popcorn, just like everyone is saying. I can't wait to make the next five!

There are 140 blocks in Sylvia's quilt, but I plan to make just 48 of my favorites and set them into a Glad Creations pattern called Lone Star in Ohio.

Meanwhile, if you have been following Nathan's blog, you know that he as passed me by miles and miles as has almost everyone else. I'm trying not to let that panic me. I've got two more years to get 'er done!

3 comments:

Nathan Carter said...

Cheri, you should know by now it is a race. Get going! The first five are amazing.

Annemarie Yohnk said...

Love the black and white! It inspires me...both to work on my Sylvia's and to get going on a black & white challenge I've been putting off. Thanks for the kick in the backside!

Judy's Common Thread said...

Your blocks are darling. I think the Glad's Lone Star setting will be very appropriate for you and those fabrics! Love the Loop-de-Loop background fabric.....cute! :)